I undertake public commissions throughout the UK and overseas. Emphasis is on creating visually engaging artwork that is accessible to a wide audience and is site specific in terms of context and physical location.
I also place emphasis on community involvement in public art projects. This is achieved through detailed consultation with all stakeholders and by providing workshops for community groups. I have over 20 years of experience of providing workshops for all ages and for a variety of groups from medical staff, community groups to school children.
Specially designated websites are created for each project to fully document the process and to allow all parties to follow and feedback on developments. Examples of these websites can be seen in Project links
Public art works have been produced for hospitals, health centres, schools, libraries, cycle paths and regeneration projects.
Commissioners include: Bristol City Council, Willis Newson, South Gloustershire Council, Unilever, Patchway District Council, Borough of Poole, North Bristol NHS Trust, Central Bedfordshire Council.
“Thanks to Pete for all his hard work and perseverance in completing this project for us. The schools he worked with were truly enthused by his approach and the opportunity to see their work installed on the cycle track. He really worked over and above the original brief to ensure the best outcome possible.”
– Alison Catlin, Arts Development Officer, South Gloucestershire Council.
Information for public art commissioners
Innovation and Experience
- My working practice is mainly as a sculptor creating large outdoor durable steel sculptures for public and private commission. I have been creating steel sculptures for over 20 years and also work with computer aided design
- My practice embraces innovation, experimenting with using new fabrication methods and materials. I have been developing my practice through a research and development grant to produce innovative sculptural form and content using contemporary metal working techniques.
- I have recently attended an enamelling course at the University of the West of England aimed at artists working in the public realm to encourage incorporation of vitreous enamel into public art.
- After initial sketches and maquettes many of my sculptures are computer designed, allowing 3D rotation to check all aspects and then are laser profile cut using the latest industrial technology allowing detailed work and ensuring smooth lines.
- I have produced many sculptures for public spaces: in schools, parks, office developments and for corporate clients.
- I have attended several courses on Public Art – Budget management, Health and Safety considerations, Role of Public Art, Public Art and Project management.
- I work with several engineering firms, fabricators, laser profilers etc. throughout the UK.
- I have a track record of producing high quality work that is durable and fabricated and finished to a high standard.
- I always keep health and safety considerations paramount in the design process. Installation Method statements and risk assessments are completed.
- I have a track record of meeting deadlines and producing work on time – often ahead of time.
- I am experienced with managing budgets and book-keeping.
- I would ensure that my design was low or zero maintenance.
- I have worked together with landscape gardeners on several projects and have advised clients on lighting sculptural work
- I take sustainability into account with material sourcing, efficient design and material use and fabrication methods
- Public liability insurance to 5 Million
- I have had students shadow me for work experience and acted as a mentor for students in the public art commissioning process. I am very happy to share with, mentor and encourage emerging artists.
- Documentation also plays an important part in my approach. I now produce on-line documentation where the development of the project is regularly updated on a specially created web-site and it also allows for comments to be added. These have proven to be very popular
Workshops and Consultation
- I have many years experience delivering sculpture workshops to all ages. I have taught children from pre-school up to secondary and adults.
- I taught residential sculpture weekends for Filton College for adults exploring making sculpture in the outdoor environment
- I am currently the artist in residence at Filton Avenue Children’s Centre and have worked as artist in residence for several organisations.
- I regularly run workshops in schools which lead to the students creating permanent artworks for their school
- I have experience of working with community groups to consult with and gather design ideas, for example, for hospital staff and patients for Frenchay Hospital commission and Library staff and users for a library commission in Poole.
- I enjoy working together with other people and I am good at communicating clearly and listening to others input and encouraging others creativity.
Pete worked on the Luton Dunstable Busway project for 18 months. This was a project to create five large public artworks reflecting elements of contemporary history. As part of the project he organised and delivered a series of workshops for local schools. Pete also conducted a number of public consultations with the local community.
Pete is very organised and professional. He takes initiative and has a good overview of the public art process. He was very good at communication with all stakeholders involved.
Pete delivered five outstanding large scale stainless steel sculpture. The designs were striking and reflected the theme very well. Pete also listened and incorporated elements into the design from the workshops and consultations. The sculptures were fabricated to an extremely high standard, produced on time and delivered great value for money.The installation of the artworks went very smoothly and they have now become part of the local landscape. Pete documented the whole project on a dedicated website that he created which was a great way to keep the entire process visible and engaging.
It was a pleasure to work with Pete on this project and we would highly recommend him for other Public Art projects.