My working practice concentrates on sculpture, installation and public art. I work with many materials especially metals creating high quality sculpture for indoor and landscape settings.
I am interested in the human condition and explore the boundaries between science, religion, art and the natural world. I explore spirituality, inter-faith dialogue and pluralism. Analogies and metaphors from science, philosophy and theology are visible in many works. Patterns – patterns found in nature, journeys, symbolism, biology are often reworked.
My work encompasses abstract and contemporary figurative work with the overriding aesthetic being minimal, emphasising the form with strong lines. I create completive work, a moment to reflect in a busy world. Presence sometimes being represented by absence, memory by a trace, stillness by form. Light is an integral element in the manner with which it interacts with the works, reflecting and responding to the form.
My recent body of work examines traditional Islamic art, looking at the engravings, tiling and architecture of Mosques and re-interprets these in sculptural form. I am currently contributing design elements to a new Mosque in Bristol.
I exhibit regularly and have work in several collections here in the UK and overseas. I recently represented the UK at the prestigious Islamic Art Festival in the United Arab Emirates.
I have undertaken many public art commissions where I create site specific work. Public artworks have been produced for various locations including hospitals, health centres, libraries, schools, and cycle paths and these projects have often involved significant community participation and consultation.
Throughout my practice I have collaborated with a variety of professionals, form commissioners, architects, town planners to scientists, theologians and doctors and work closely with several engineers and fabricators
- In this section you can view images of my sculptures in the Gallery and also see a selection of work from my archive in the Archive Gallery.
- Sculptures are available to be ordered from this portfolio. The editioned works are produced in small limited editions of 3 or 8.
- In addition I have a collection of maquettes – models ready to be made available for commission. Please contact me for more information about these.
- Commissions for new works are undertaken. New sculpture can be designed to be site specific responding to a particular location, both in context and in terms of sculptural form.
- There is more information about ordering and commissioning new work and a price list in the side menu.
- All the sculptures are made to an extremely high standard. Painted sculptures are first hot zinc spayed ensuring them to be rust free and are finished with a durable two pac polyurethane paint system. Stainless steel sculptures are fabricated in high quality stainless steel, either 304 or marine grade 316. Some sculptures are left to attain their natural patination, in these cases the steel gauge is increased to ensure longevity in the outdoor environment.
- Innovation is important to me and I’m continually experimenting with new concepts and forms of sculptural expression as well as investigating new processes and techniques to continue to move my practice forward. See Experimental work
Exhibitions this year include:
- Doddington Hall, JULY 30th to 11th SEPTEMBER